Staff Reporter, Gizmodo (Bay Area)
San Francisco, CA
Gizmodo Media Group is the publisher of the web’s most original and fearless media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Jezebel, Deadspin, Splinter, Jalopnik, and The Root. As part of G/O Media, we reach an audience of +120 million visitors a month — more than one-third of all Americans.
About the Role:
We're looking for an aggressive, sharp, hungry reporter, located in the Bay Area, to spearhead Gizmodo's coverage of the technology industry and Silicon Valley. The right candidate will have impeccable story instincts, solid reporting chops, and the ability to pivot between quick daily stories and longer enterprise stories. Most important is a desire to do the kind of investigative reporting that'll reveal untold stories about the goings on at the world's biggest and most influential technology companies and the people who run them and work for them. Gizmodo already has a track record of telling stories about Silicon Valley that other publications can't or won't—and we want a reporter who can take that coverage to the next level.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide daily coverage of the technology industry, with a focus on Silicon Valley-based companies and the people behind them
- Effectively cultivate valuable sources within key technology firms related to your beat
- Consistently craft medium-, and long-form investigative and analysis pieces
- Establish yourself as a must-read reporter covering technology and Silicon Valley
- Experience working at a major digital or print outlet with strong tech coverage
- A demonstrated ability to break news in a core technology beat
- Be comfortable writing analysis, breaking news, and investigative features
- A fast and authoritative writer, a whiz at cultivating and working sources, and come with a thick skin and a sense of humor
- San Francisco-based strongly preferred
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This is a position covered under the collective bargaining agreement with the WGA-E.
Have questions for our recruiting team?
Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll get back to you shortly.