New York, NY
G/O Media connects with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about. G/O Media reaches 115MM unique visitors monthly and includes Gizmodo Media Group and The Onion Inc.
About the Role
G/O Media is looking for a legal expert with a breadth of experience in vetting news and entertainment content (both written content and video or other varieties of content), First Amendment, privacy, publicity issues and copyright. This person will assist in overseeing litigation and will work with the rest of the legal team, editorial, business development, creative, and sales teams to meet business goals and manage risk. The ideal candidate will have a litigation background, as well as the ability and willingness to handle a breadth of other issues including contracts, employment, and corporate governance. A strong understanding of internet and intellectual property law is a must and a familiarity with media and privacy law is a plus.
This position reports to the CEO.
- Provide prepublication review of a wide variety of content (written work, video, other formats)
- Work closely with and assist General Counsel in overseeing litigation
- Provide general advice and counsel to editorial team
- Manage diverse legal issues, including those in media law, intellectual property, employment, corporate governance, and internal policy
- Review and draft contracts
- Identify risks across departments and recommend practical courses of action
- Minimum of 7-10+ years experience with First Amendment, copyright and privacy issues, as well as experience in prepublication review (of both written and video content)
- Litigation experience
- Prior in-house experience a plus, preferably at a media company
- Ability to jump in to tackle issues that may be outside one’s specialty
- Employment law, corporate housekeeping experience, experience with maintaining trademark and domain name databases and supporting trademark prosecution would be plusses
- Strong written, communication, and interpersonal skills and ability to work closely with a very small team as well as independently
- Ability to work in a very fast-paced environment and balance and prioritize multiple assignments
- An understanding of and passion for technology, the internet, and intellectual property is a must
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.