Managing Editor, Earther
New York, NY
Gizmodo Media Group is the publisher of the web’s most original and fearless media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Jezebel, Deadspin, Splinter, Jalopnik, and The Root. As part of G/O Media, we reach an audience of +120 million visitors a month — more than one-third of all Americans.
About the Role:
We’re looking for a sharp, aggressive editor to lead Gizmodo’s environmental coverage at Earther. The right candidate will have extensive knowledge of the most pressing environmental issues and challenges facing Americans and the world, from industries getting away with pollution to the myriad impacts of climate change, and an innate understanding of how to make these stories matter to a young, diverse, news-hungry audience. This person must be wholly invested in Gizmodo/Earther’s fearless approach to stories and eagerness to call the truth as we see it, even when other outlets can’t or won’t, and they should be ready to shape the angle, voice, and tone of every story Earther publishes to align with that editorial ethos.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assign, edit, and publish 4-6 stories daily on topics across the environmental news space, from major policy developments to scientific studies to important weather and climate events.
- Workshop angles with writers to make every story distinctive. Ensure Earther is always offering a unique take on the news of the day.
- Manage scheduling and splicing to ensure the page remains lively throughout the day and stories are being shared across other G/O media sites as much as possible.
- Ensure writers are staying on top of all major news developments on their beats, in addition to cultivating and developing valuable sources.
- Workshop headlines with other editors to make Earther stories irresistible to click on and share.
- Ensure writers are consistently crafting a mix of medium- and long-form investigative and analysis pieces in addition to covering news. Work with features editor to ensure these pieces are executed in a timely manner.
- Work with Gizmodo video team to shape the voice and editorial direction of Earther videos, from explainers to mini-documentaries.
- Cultivate a network of smart, capable, diverse freelancers who can augment Earther’s daily news coverage with deeper analysis pieces, reviews, essays, and more.
- Continue to build Earther’s audience, working with social, analytics, and the broader Gizmodo editorial team to ensure our stories are reaching as wide a readership as possible and that our site is the place to find environmental news that matters.
- Experience working at a major digital or print outlet with strong science or environmental coverage
- A demonstrated ability to lead an effective news team
- Comfortable editing analysis, breaking news, and investigative features
- Eager to work with reporters on development of their writing and reporting skills
- Able to deliver critical feedback, bringing any performance issues to a reporter’s attention, and finding ways to solve them
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This position is based in the G/O Media office in New York City or can be remote.
This position is in the WGA-E bargaining unit.