G/O Media connects with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about. G/O Media reaches 115MM unique visitors monthly and includes Gizmodo Media Group and The Onion Inc.
About the Role
Our Frontend Engineers are an essential part of the product development team, as they work on a wide variety of feature-sets on the Kinja platform, our main product that runs all of our sites. Besides creating the ‘personality’ for each of our sites, the frontend team also acts as a channel between the user needs and the technology. They are working closely with designers, product managers and backend engineers in order to create the best possible experience for over 100 Million monthly readers worldwide. This role may work with ad tech implementation, so please let us know when you’re applying if you have experience in implementing or optimizing ad technology (DFP, prebid.js, BlockThrough, and/or VAST/video ad servicing.
As a Frontend Engineer you will be:
- figuring out specific user needs and implementing them
- translating user needs into technological challenges
- helping us finetune and improve our adtech solutions
- adapt to fast iterations
- continuous integration practice
- experimenting with new technologies - with a serious touch of pragmatism
- product mindset
Our team would be impressed by
- experience with NodeJS - especially tweaking the server side performance
- advertising-related or content publishing work history
- Flow - type checking really speeds up our development
- strong data analysis skills - you know what to look for and you can make decisions based on the data find
- writing clean and maintainable code - your regex is readable after 2 weeks without losing its power
- outstanding communication skills
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
Position can be based in G/O Media's Chicago or New York City office.