Executive Editor, The A.V. Club
The A.V. Club is looking for an Executive Editor who is entrepreneurial, enterprising, and comfortable in a dynamic, fast-paced environment. Bringing their deep expertise of the pop culture realm and a proven track record of leading editorial teams in the digital space is a must. We’re looking for a strong leader who can inspire a group of writers and editors to create their best work. As Executive Editor, you should have a sharp eye for detail and a passion for all things entertainment related. This person must be committed to diversity, have a clear understanding of journalistic ethics as they relate to cultural criticism and The A.V. Club, and enforces that as necessary across all sections.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the managing editor and video director to guide stories and editorial strategy
- Liaise between the editorial department and G/O Media’s sales and product teams
- Manage budget, logistics, and resource allocation for the department
- Use data insights and analytics to understand our audience, and inform the way curate and edit stories
- Work with the Senior Talent Partner in managing personnel, staffing, and hiring across a newsroom of writers and editors
- Organize and maintain weekly, monthly, and annual editorial calendars and ensure deadlines are being met
- 10+ years of editorial experience in digital media, including 5 years of experience as an editor
- Be capable of planning and turning around stories ranging from short news pieces to longer features at a quick pace
- Experience leading a large editorial team
- Strong interpersonal and collaborative problem-solving skills
- A skilled editor and writer
- Well organized, with experience managing content calendars
- Ability to juggle a vibrant daily newsroom’s many needs with ambitious, long-term projects
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This position is based in The Onion Inc's office in Chicago.