Staff Writer, Splinter
New York, NY or Remote
Gizmodo Media Group is the publisher of the web’s most original and fearless media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Jezebel, Deadspin, Splinter, Jalopnik and The Root. As part of G/O Media, we reach an audience of +120 million visitors a month — more than one-third of all Americans.
About the Role:
The staff writer will cover national political news from the Splinter perspective. This role is for a fast, savvy writer with a strong voice who is interested in a wide range of political stories and hungry to break news. Candidates should be comfortable working independently in a fast-paced, highly collaborative environment and possess the ambition to pursue and execute original reporting in addition to spot news and commentary.
As a staff writer, you should have:
- Understand and appreciate Splinter’s adversarial approach to covering political news
- Be well-versed in the major political, media, and cultural figures driving the day’s narrative(s)
- Possess a desire to break news and expand their reporting abilities through investigative stories
- Have at least 2+ years experience writing multiple times a day, preferably for a digital publication
- Be confident meeting deadlines while juggling multiple assignments of varying scope
- Have a track record of developing story ideas and finding new angles to the stories we cover every day
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This is a full-time staff position, open to remote candidates. This position reports to the Editor in Chief.
This is a position covered under the collective bargaining agreement with the WGA-E.