Freelance Podcast Producer, The Upgrade
New York, NY
Gizmodo Media Group is the publisher of the web’s most original and fearless media brands, including Gizmodo, Earther, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Jezebel, Deadspin, Splinter, Jalopnik and The Root. As part of G/O Media, we reach an audience of +120 million visitors a month — more than one-third of all Americans.
About the Role:
Gizmodo Media Group is looking to hire a Freelance Podcast Producer to oversee the production of Lifehacker's bi-weekly hit show The Upgrade. The show was twice featured alongside Oprah and Tim Ferris in Apple Podcasts' "New Year, New You" catalog and has been ranked #8 in Apple’s Top Tech News podcasts. Their all-star lineup of guests includes Esther Perel, Tim Ferris, Lawerence O'Donnell, Samantha Irby, Alan Alda, Chris Gethard, Anne Lamott and Michael Pollan. The two-time Webby-nominated show tackles the stuff that matters—like how to be happy, how to improve your memory, how to negotiate, how to keep your data safe online, and, of course, how to get rich.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the hosts on pitching, pre-interviewing, writing, editing and skillfully crafting episodes of The Upgrade
- Book guests, write scripts and episode rundowns, coach hosts during tracking, edit episodes on Pro Tools, record both in-studio and out in the field, studio management
- Work with The Lifehacker team by attending editorial meetings to craft and create show ideas that complement the brand
- Ability to skillfully manage schedule and juggle multiple future show ideas in production
- Maintain exceptional sound quality at all times
- Operate, maintain, prep and monitor the control room for podcast recording sessions of shows and promos
- Maintain clear communication with team
- Prepare and upload audio for digital distribution
- At least 3 years of experience in producing, editing and packaging podcasts shows required
- Creative ideas about to make a smart audio show that will complement the Lifehacker brand
- ProTools expert; mastery of audio editing (post-production engineering a huge plus)
- Experience with uploading and distributing shows on Art19
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This position is based in New York City.