Senior Producer, Gizmodo
New York, NY
Gizmodo Media Group is the publisher of the web’s most original and fearless media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Jezebel, Deadspin, Jalopnik, and The Root. As part of G/O Media, we reach an audience of 120+ million visitors a month — more than one-third of all Americans.
About the Role:
Gizmodo Media Group (GMG) is seeking an experienced, dynamic leader to serve as the Senior Producer to run the Gizmodo.com video team. The role includes the technology site Gizmodo, Earther, and Io9, the site’s subrand devoted to geek culture. The ideal candidate will have strong interest in science and technology and feel a passion for creating compelling video content in those areas.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Oversee the day-to-day production for the Gizmodo video team — green-light pitches, sign-off on scripts and edits, and keep the trains running on time
- Work closely with GMG’s head of video to hit goals and grow video views onsite and across platforms
- Collaborate closely with the site’s editor-in-chief and writers to produce videos that fit the site’s voice, tone and quality
- Manage a team of producers and editors in New York and Oakland
- Work across Gizmodo's verticals — consumer tech, science, Earther, and io9 — to create work that aligns with their distinct voices
- Oversee production on a fast-moving team across a range of products, from quick news clips to short documentaries, hosted series, and field-produced explainers
- Have a strong commitment, and proven track record, of hiring diverse talent
- Work collaboratively with other GMG sites (Jezebel, Deadspin, Jalopnik, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Splinter and The Root)
- 7 years of experience in digital video, with a track record of managing teams
- Strong organizational skills and problem-solving skills, including the ability to prioritize and shift between quick and longer-term tasks
- A keen editorial eye: the ability to understand what makes great storytelling and how to structure it to appeal to a digital audience
- Strong writing skills with the ability to write and edit scripts and condense a complicated story down to a few crystal clear sentences
- Fluency in video editing software (Premiere Pro) and working knowledge of a broad suite of production tools
- Experience field producing
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This position is based in New York City.
This is a position covered under the collective bargaining agreement with the WGA-E.
Have questions for our recruiting team?
Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll get back to you shortly.