Associate Creative Director
G/O Media connects with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about. G/O Media reaches 115MM unique visitors monthly and includes Gizmodo Media Group and The Onion Inc.
About the Role
We are looking for an amazing Associate Creative Director to join the Creative team with a background in brand and digital design.
Reporting to the Creative Director, and managing a team of designers, you will collaborate with client services, creative teams, UX, strategy and tech teams to develop, custom/branded content for all publishers within the G/O portfolio, including The Onion, Gizmodo, Deadpan, Jezebel, The Root, The Takeout, A.V. Club, Kotaku, Jalopnik and more! The work will include branding development, key visual design, video pre-production art direction, social media asset design, interactive feature pages on our respective sites and much more.
You're a conceptual thinker, visual designer, communicator and problem solver who wants to have their hands in several things at once, with focus on brand design and innovation. You have a strong point of view of brand identity, brand development, creative process and creative development. You are passionate about visual design and creative practice, and have a clear voice about design decisions. The Associate Creative Director should be ready to present work to executive level client stakeholders and represent G/O Media at all stages of engagement.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Collaborates with creatives, writers, and strategists to set new standards in creative work
- Leads break-through brand expressions, campaign creative, and digital forward design
- Creates world-class creative for G/O Media’s publications and marketing campaigns
- Ensures quality elevation in all aspects of creative execution
- Partners with cross-functional teams to plan, concept and design compelling content
- Mentor designers in best practice, design process and conceptualizing
- 7+ years experience leading design teams within an agencies, global brand or publisher
- Ability to clearly articulate why specific creative decisions were made to stakeholders
- Excellent conceptual and visual design skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects, manage time efficiently, and effectively implement creative feedback from leadership
- A thorough understanding of designing for digital platforms
- Portfolio features world-class visual design and campaign work
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This is a full-time staff position based in Chicago. Candidates in New York City will also be considered.
Have questions for our recruiting team?
Reach out to email@example.com and we'll get back to you shortly.