New York, NY
G/O Media connects with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about. G/O Media reaches 115MM unique visitors monthly and includes Gizmodo Media Group and The Onion Inc.
About the Role:
We are looking for an Engineering Manager with strong communication skills and a desire to be involved in all aspects of the product life-cycle. We are looking for leaders who think outside the box and bring clear direction to our teams. The Engineering Manager will drive adoption of engineering best practices and development processes within their team and across our technology organization.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Partner with product managers and designers on a regular basis to drive data-driven engineering and product decisions and set and track towards development objectives.
- Hire, develop, and retain high-performing engineers.
- Guide the technical direction and priorities of an engineering team, ensuring long-term technical health and team engagement.
- Guide the team through planning and execution of product initiatives.
- Mentor and coach software engineers through 1:1s and performance evaluations.
- Take on important engineering, scaling and performance issues.
- Ensure alignment between execution of short-term initiatives and overall objectives.
- Adapt to fast iterations
- Continuous integration practice
- Experience with NodeJS - especially tweaking the server side performance
- Strong data analysis skills - you know what to look for and you can make decisions based on the data find
- Experience building and leading software engineering teams (hiring, handling promotions, onboarding/off-boarding, team-building, and processes)
- Experience managing remote teams and engineers
- Several years of very recent and hands-on programming experience in a professional software development shop
- Strong organization and prioritization skills along with excellent written and interpersonal skills
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
Have questions for our recruiting team?
Reach out to email@example.com and we'll get back to you shortly.