Social Media Editor, Jalopnik
New York, NY
G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion and The A.V. Club, and reaches over 120 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the Role:
Jalopnik, our automotive-focused site with more than 13 million global monthly readers is looking for is seeking a Social Media Editor. Besides having in-depth knowledge of current and emerging social platforms, ideal applicants should also have a familiarity with these sites, as well as a passion for social media and journalism.
We’re looking for someone who isn’t just into cars, but is an evangelist for car enthusiast culture, and is eager to spread Jalopnik’s mission and content to wider audiences. From old-school muscle cars to autonomous vehicles and the latest drift machines, we’re after someone who has their finger on the pulse of what’s hot in the world of cars and transportation, and can help us grow our audience even further.
The ideal candidate is someone who is self-sufficient, resourceful and has 1-3 years of social media experience in a news environment, ideally one at an automotive publication. Writing and occasional video work are also likely and encouraged.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Curating and framing stories for Facebook publication
- Publishing links and social video to Facebook and Twitter
- Teaching the edit staff best practices for social + working with the site to ensure our journalism is distributed properly
- Original social content creation (i.e. social/breaking news coverage, live-tweeting news events, raw video production, quote cards, gif creation, Instagram posts/assignments, etc)
- Monitoring and participating in social conversations, recirculating relevant content on news pegs
- Working with video teams to pitch/produce/facilitate videos and live streams
- BA or equivalent experience in journalism, publishing, media studies, English or a relevant field
- Passion for social media, news, the automotive industry, racing, transportation, airplanes, technology, motorcycles and much more
- Understanding of the Jalopnik voice and brand
- Exceptional writing and communication skills
- Excellent work ethic
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This position is based in New York City.
This is a position covered under the collective bargaining agreement with the WGA-E.