Social Media Editor, Deadspin
New York, NY
G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion, The A.V. Club, and Clickhole, and reaches over 120 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the role:
Deadspin, our sports news site, is looking for a Social Media Editor. The Social Media Editor will package and curate stories and videos for Deadspin’s social media channels. They will also work with writers and editors to create original social content. The ideal candidate will have a passion for news and social media, knowledge of all major sports (and some not major ones as well!), and familiarity with the Deadspin voice.
You should also have a deep understanding of current social platforms, as well as a sharp eye for emerging ones. We’re looking for candidates who are self-sufficient, comfortable working in a fast-paced atmosphere, and have at least two years of social media experience in a news environment. Ability to clip and cut video quickly is a huge plus.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Curating and framing stories for social publication
- Publishing links and social video to Facebook and Twitter
- Original social content creation (i.e. social/breaking news coverage, live-tweeting news events, raw video production, quote cards, gif creation, Instagram posts/assignments, etc)
- Monitoring and participating in social conversations, recirculating relevant content on news pegs
- Working with video teams to pitch/produce/facilitate live streams and other videos
- Teaching our edit staff best practices for social + working with our sites to ensure our journalism is distributed
- BA or equivalent experience in journalism, publishing, media studies, English or a relevant field
- 1-3 years working in a social media field, preferably in a news capacity
- Passion for social media, news and the sports industry
- Understanding of the Deadspin voice and brand
- Exceptional writing and communication skills
- Excellent work ethic
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This position is based in New York City.
This is a position covered under the collective bargaining agreement with the WGA-E.