Newsroom Operations Coordinator
G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original and fearless media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Jezebel, Deadspin, Jalopnik, The Onion, The Takeout, AV Club, ClickHole, The Root and The Inventory. As part of G/O Media, these brands reach an audience of 120+ million visitors a month — more than one-third of all Americans.
About the Role:
G/O Media is looking for a Newsroom Operations Coordinator. The ideal applicant is organized, hard-working, a team player, and eager to learn and adapt on the go. You should be a superb project manager, a top-notch problem-solver, and comfortable working independently and meeting deadlines. You will be supporting a fast-paced digital newsroom, where people expect answers and resolution quickly. This role supports the Editorial Director, in addition to the entire newsroom across seven titles. You should be familiar with the publications, and their attitude and voice.
This position requires regular in-office hours, but you should also be OK with answering and handling occasional email requests in off hours.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Coordinate day-to-day operations for a digital newsroom of nearly 200 journalists
- Understand and anticipate the needs of the editorial team, and present initiatives to solve pain points in workflow, communications, and processes
- Work collaboratively with other departments to ensure the newsroom functions smoothly
- Schedule, assist in set up of, and act as point person on editorial team meetings
- Provide general administrative/editorial support, as needed, to the Editorial Director, Executive Managing Editor, and senior staff
- Coordinate travel around tentpole editorial coverage, mostly domestic but occasionally international
- Alongside Finance, maintain and manage services with digital newsroom vendors
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong focus on accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent organization and time management skills, with the ability to prioritize and juggle multiple projects at once
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to work independently
- A good attitude and unflappable under pressure
- At least one year of experience in office administration. Prior experience in a newsroom environment a plus.
- Full working knowledge of Google Suite (Gmail, Sheets, Docs, Calendar, etc.)
- Familiarity with Chrome River, Egencia, Lifesize, a plus
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
Have questions for our recruiting team?
Reach out to email@example.com and we'll get back to you shortly.