VP Consumer Events and Conferences
New York, NY
G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion, The A.V. Club, and Clickhole, and reaches over 120 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the role:
The VP, Consumer Events and Conferences is expected to be a substantial growth vehicle for G/O Media’s business plan by driving consumer revenue through ticket sales and providing additional sponsorship opportunities for marketers. The Vice President of Consumer Events will develop and execute the G/O Media consumer event strategy from its outset. The position will be charged with building a complete event business model from scratch including programming concepts, target audiences, technology requirements and a full P&L
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop programming, audience and revenue strategy for consumer events across a portfolio of media brands
- Plan events from start to finish according to requirements, target audience and objectives.
- Lead for product planning and brainstorming new revenue opportunities to expand the monetization of events.
- Prepare budgets and ensure adherence.
- Develop a staffing plan including full time employees and contracted vendors as appropriate to launch and grow event revenue stream.
- Source and recommend technology partners as needed for event execution
- Source and negotiate with vendors and suppliers.
- Setting, communicating and maintaining timelines and priorities on every project.
- Follow-through and willingness to conduct pre-and post-event evaluations, reporting on the outcomes.
- Minimum 5 years experience as manager of consumer events.
- Experience managing a $5 - $10M annual event revenue P&L and exceeding financial expectations. Experience managing a conference planning and execution team.
- Ability to work seamlessly with editorial, sales and management teams to develop event strategies that match brands and audiences while growing revenue and profitability.
- Impressive references and portfolios of previously managed events.
- Superb time management and communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Sales skills and an aptitude for building productive business relationships.
- Ability to oversee multiple projects independently.
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
Have questions for our recruiting team?
Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll get back to you shortly.