G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion, The A.V. Club, and Clickhole, and reaches over 120 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the Role:
We're looking for an Editorial Director (ED) to lead our talented, sharp, and passionate journalists in G/O Media’s growing portfolio of trusted sites, which engage our audience in fearless and honest journalism and value fostering conversations around it. This is the top editorial role in our organization, reporting to our CEO. The ED will need to work collaboratively to guide and support our talented group of independent-minded editors and storytellers to the highest levels of editorial excellence. This is not a daily hands-on editing role but one that, at its core, needs a demonstrated passion for reporting, storytelling, and G/O Media’s editorial mission.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Serve as the final newsroom voice on all editorial choices
- Represent the interests of our journalism and our audiences in broader interactions with appropriate business functions across the company
- Juggle a vibrant daily newsroom’s many needs with ambitious, long-term projects
- Attract and retain talent across G/O Media's sites
- Bring and build on innovative journalistic approaches and thinking
- Oversee the Executive Managing Editor, on organizational, management, and newsroom-wide mentoring tasks
- Partner with the leadership team to help create and drive strategy to help grow G/O Media’s reach
- An unflinching commitment to impactful journalism and the editorial mission of G/O Media
- 10+ years relevant newsroom management experience in a fast-paced, constantly evolving digital publishing environment
- Impeccable integrity and ability to support our editors in making tough journalistic calls in fast-moving news cycles
- Skills to help develop and execute on ideas that can expand G/O Media's current audiences in a deeply collaborative, transparent setting
- A sound understanding of the evolving digital media landscape, our critical place in it, and how our newsroom can continue to help G/O Media engage and find new audiences in the U.S. and abroad
- Deep, applied understanding of the centrality of visual journalism, digital video, and social media to our journalism
- Experience working collaboratively with in-house product/platform teams to figure out more ways to increase the reach of our journalism
- Strong written and verbal communication, interpersonal, organizational skills
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
Have questions for our recruiting team?
Reach out to email@example.com and we'll get back to you shortly.