Deputy Editor, Gizmodo
New York, NY
G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion, The A.V. Club, and Clickhole, and reaches over 120 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the role:
Gizmodo, our tech & science site, is seeking an organized, fast-paced, ambitious Deputy Editor who can work alongside the Editor In Chief and Managing Editor to lead the site into the future. The right candidate will have management experience and a flair for keeping the high-speed trains running on time, as well as a deep knowledge and appreciation for all things tech, science, and genre culture.
This position works at a high level across Gizmodo's five verticals: io9; Earther; science; consumer technology and reviews; and tech news, policy, and culture.
* Be a fast and thorough editor, a fountain of strange and wonderful ideas, a whiz with headlines, and a calm voice of authority during the most chaotic of news events.
- At least six years experience editing for a major news outlet
- Outstanding and proven leadership abilities, diplomacy, and strong communication and relationship-building skills with people who work in the office or remotely
- A background in technology journalism is required, and a background in consumer product coverage and reviews is ideal
- Experience mentoring and managing a team of direct reports
- Experience editing scripts and working on editorial video projects is preferred but not required
Have questions for our recruiting team?
Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll get back to you shortly.