Social Media Editor, Gizmodo
G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion, The A.V. Club, and Clickhole, and reaches over 120 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the role:
Gizmodo, our tech and science site is looking for a Social Media Editor. The Social Media Editor will package and curate stories and videos for Gizmodo’s social media channels. They will also work with writers and editors to create original social content.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for news and social media, a familiarity with the Gizmodo voice, and an appreciation for all things tech, science, and Earth-related. You should have a deep understanding of current social platforms and their analytics, as well as a sharp eye for emerging ones. You should also have experience curating and A/B testing newsletters. We’re looking for candidates who are self-sufficient, comfortable working in a fast-paced atmosphere, and have at least 3 years of social media experience in a news environment.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Curating and framing stories for Facebook publication
- Publishing links and social video to Facebook and Twitter
- Original social content creation (i.e. social/breaking news coverage, live-tweeting news events, raw video production, quote cards, gif creation, Instagram posts/assignments, etc)
- Curating and A/B testing a daily newsletter
- Monitoring and participating in social conversations, recirculating relevant content on news pegs
- Working with video teams to pitch/produce/facilitate live streams and other videos
- Teaching our edit staff best practices for social + working with our sites to ensure our journalism is distributed
- BA or equivalent experience in journalism, publishing, media studies, English or a relevant field.
- 3 years working in a social media field, preferably in a news capacity.
- Passion for social media, news and all things tech
- Exceptional writing and communication skills
- Excellent work ethics
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This position is based in New York City.
This is a position covered under the collective bargaining agreement with the WGA-E.
Have questions for our recruiting team?
Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll get back to you shortly.