Staff Writer, Entertainment, The Root
New York, NY or remote, east coast
G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion and The A.V. Club, and reaches over 120 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the Role:
The Root, the leading online source for African American news and opinion at G/O Media with more than 8 million global monthly readers, is looking for a Staff Writer whose primary focus will be covering entertainment, social media, and popular culture, through the lens of African American art and culture.
The ideal candidate will have a deep and passionate knowledge of black art—film, television, music and social media, with bonus points, if interested in where race intersects with comic books and science fiction. They must be skilled as clean and quick writers who can turn a phrase as well as make you think, all while maintaining The Root’s fun and critical editorial voice. This candidate must also be quick, hardworking, creative and adept at turning out content at one of the fastest-paced companies in media.
Who You Should Be:
- Someone with a strong understanding of The Root’s voice and brand
- Someone with several years of experience at a print or digital outlet, ideally with entertainment writing experience
- Passionate about arts—both popular and fine—but even more passionate about storytelling and educating audiences at where these arts intersect with race, gender, and LGBTQ+ issues
- A writer with strong news judgment and the ability to respond quickly to cultural and current events with appropriate stories
- Someone who is comfortable turning out a great deal of work, and can balance daily reviews with larger breakout features
- Organized, detail-oriented, ambitious and comfortable at a website with a massive audience
Please apply with a resume, cover letter, and answer the job-specific questions below.
This position will be based in our New York office or remote, East Coast.
This is a position covered under the collective bargaining agreement with the WGA-E.