Staff Writer, Deadspin
G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion and The A.V. Club, and reaches over 120 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the Role:
G/O Media is looking for a Staff Writer for Deadspin, our sports news site,. This is a position for a person comfortable writing about a wide range of sports and finding their own story ideas, with skills ranging from the ability to write a good joke to the ability to submit a FOIA request. The ideal candidate is a quick writer with a strong voice, an aggressive, adversarial reporter, and capable of working on everything from quick highlight blogs to thorough investigations. Candidates should be confident working independently in a fast-paced atmosphere. Some night and weekend work will be required.
The ideal candidate will have:
- experience writing for a newspaper or online publication
- strong news judgment and understanding of the online news cycle, with the ability to find stories on their own
- the ability to break news, as well as to find new angles on the news everyone is covering
- an interest in writing about areas we don’t cover as deeply as we should, and an instinct for finding those areas
- an understanding of Deadspin’s voice and a knack for writing strong headlines
This position will be based out of Chicago.
This is a position covered under the collective bargaining agreement with the WGA-E.