Staff Writer, Jalopnik
G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion and The A.V. Club, and reaches over 120 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
Jalopnik, a G/O Media site about car culture and transportation with more than 8 million global monthly users, is seeking a creative, smart, hardworking writer to join the most-read team of gearheads on the web.
This person will be comfortable researching and writing about anything in the greater wheelhouse of transportation, from classic Citroëns to the latest news about Tesla Motors to space travel. The ideal candidate will be a fast, flexible, knowledgeable journalist with a sense of humor, who isn't just into cars and the things that move us, but is first and foremost someone who loves to write with a passion for making those topics fascinating to a general audience. In short, we are not seeking a car nerd—we are seeking a transportation evangelist.
This writer will be responsible for turning out original, engaging stories that complement and expand on Jalopnik's honest, enthusiastic, and even scathing editorial voice. It's a job for someone who can write multiple stories a day and also budget time for enterprise work.
They will be completely comfortable with the editorial process—from pitch to publication, promotion and discussion, including video.
Who You Should Be:
- Someone with an impressive body of published work from 1-3 years experience at a news website, blog, magazine, or newspaper, although not necessarily one with an automotive focus (many of Jalopnik's top writers have come from other backgrounds)
- Someone with strong news judgement and the ability to respond quickly to cultural and current events with appropriate stories
- Someone who is comfortable turning out a great deal of work, and can balance daily news with larger breakout features
- Someone who is organized, detail-oriented, ambitious ,and comfortable at a website with a massive audience
- Someone who fits into Jalopnik's no-holds-barred approach to covering the auto industry and other topics
- Someone with video experience, whether in production, on camera, or editing
This is a full time position with full benefits, including everything from unlimited time off to fully paid medical insurance. This is a position covered under the collective bargaining agreement with the WGA-E.