Deputy Editor, Deadspin
About the Role:
Applicants should have an innate understanding of sports and all political, societal and economic issues with which the sports world intersects, along with an unquenchable enthusiasm for the site’s ambitious future. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in assigning a wide range of stories, managing a daily and monthly publishing schedule, and editing longform features, reported pieces, and thoughtful responses to breaking news.
Applicants should be fluent in the digital editorial process, including video, podcasts, and social platforms. Your talents will be editorial and managerial, and you should be comfortable overseeing Jezebel alone at any given time. You should bring rigorous and fearless ideas about what Deadspin should accomplish.
The ideal candidate will be ready and excited to work with editors and writers in a uniquely collaborative work environment.
As Deputy Editor, you should:
- have experience managing writers;
- be comfortable overseeing a growing staff of ~20 in day-to-day site operations, including assigning, editing, and publishing stories;
- respond nimbly to cultural and news events in a unique voice;
- have significant experience writing and editing for a fast-paced digital news outlet with a diverse audience;
- know how to motivate a team;
- assist the editor-in-chief in thinking big-picture about the site’s vision, and help execute said vision across multiple platforms;
- be organized and detail-oriented;
- be ambitious about Deadspin's growth in both output and audience.
This position is based in Chicago.
This is a position covered under the collective bargaining agreement with the WGA-E.