G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion and The A.V. Club, and reaches over 120 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the Role:
G/O Media is looking for a Video Producer who can generate ideas and create high-quality videos for our audience and work seamlessly across our sites, with a specific interest towards science and technology.
Candidates MUST have:
- 4+ years of relevant experience in an editorial setting
- A background in stories and news relating to science, technology, and the environment
- The ability to conceive, pitch, and structure videos with a narrative throughline
- Ability to produce short weekly series and one-off feature stories with a proven track record of delivering on tight deadlines
- Strong writing skills with the ability to write a compelling script and condense a complicated story down to a few crystal clear sentences
- Experience field producing
- Ability to collaborate with writers that may have less production knowledge and direct them on set
- Ability to collaborate with other producers in a cooperative and diverse team setting
Candidates should also have:
- Understanding of different cameras and formats, ability to operate a camera a plus
- Ability to manage a small set
- Understanding of production workflows and processes
- Ability to work in Adobe Premiere, Adobe Photoshop a plus
- Strong attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects at once
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This position is based in New York.
This is a position covered under the collective bargaining agreement with the WGA-E.