Deputy Editor, Deadspin
New York, NY
G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion, and The A.V. Club and reaches over 110 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the Role:
Deadspin is looking for a Deputy Editor to join the team, based our of our New York City office. Applicants should have an innate understanding of sports and all political, societal, and economic issues with which the sports world intersects, along with an unquenchable enthusiasm for the site’s ambitious future. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in assigning a wide range of stories, managing a daily and monthly publishing schedule, and editing longform features, reported pieces, and thoughtful responses to breaking news.
Applicants should be fluent in the digital editorial process, including video, podcasts, and social platforms. Your talents will be editorial and managerial, and you should be comfortable overseeing Deadspin alone at any given time. You should bring rigorous and fearless ideas about what Deadspin should accomplish.
The ideal candidate will be ready and excited to work with editors and writers in a uniquely collaborative work environment.
As Deputy Editor, you should:
- have experience managing writers
- be comfortable overseeing a growing staff in day-to-day site operations, including assigning, editing, and publishing stories
- respond nimbly to cultural and news events in a unique voice
- have significant experience writing and editing for a fast-paced digital news outlet with a diverse audience
- know how to motivate a team
- assist the editor-in-chief in thinking big-picture about the site’s vision, and help execute said vision across multiple platforms
- be organized and detail-oriented
- be ambitious about Deadspin's growth in both output and audience
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.
This position is based in New York, NY.
This is a position covered under the collective bargaining agreement with the WGA-E.