New York, NY
G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion and The A.V. Club, and reaches over 100 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
Gizmodo Media Group LLC seeks Principal Engineer (full-time) to plan and initiate information technology projects. The Principal Engineer will ensure the company’s highly technical platform, Kinja, continues to seamlessly execute critical functions including, researching technology, providing strategic direction, and guiding design of the platform.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work on complex deliverables, debugging and triaging all critical systems, and providing education, training, knowledge sharing, and mentoring to other engineers.
- Follow technology trends and evaluate whether and how the organization could benefit from new technology. Present findings to stakeholders and be involved in making the decision of whether the Company adopts a new technology.
- Identify any problems with Kinja, raise attention of the product and business teams, coordinate a solution that is aligned with the current goals and roadmaps of the organization, and coordinate engineering teams to address them.
- Create short- and long-term technological roadmaps for the backend engineering team. This roadmap ensures that the engineering team is able to deliver software that is aligned with business and product needs, gets ahead of engineering problems that need to be avoided for the company to stay agile and be able to succeed, is prepared for future upgrades, and able to adapt to changing requirements and objectives.
- Responsible for laying out standards for the backend engineering teams that they must follow in order to increase development speed and efficiency, reduce the number of bugs, and frequency and duration of outages. Ensure that the software engineering team activities align with the technological roadmap and standards. Assist with the smooth execution of complex deliverables and take into consideration technical limitations, engineering skills and resources when designing applicable software.
Must have a Bachelor's degree (or foreign equivalent) in Computer Science or a related field and 5 years of progressive experience in the following: software architecture; designing and scaling system architecture for Web site(s) that receive a large (10M+) number of visitors; High availability web and scalable applications, Distributed Systems, Content Delivery Networks, Distributed Full-text Search, Object Oriented Programming, Rest APIs, Continuous Integration, JS, MySQL, GIT, Play Framework, Microservices Architecture, AKKA and Scala.
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.