VP of Marketing
New York, NY
G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion and The A.V. Club, and reaches over 100 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the role:
The VP of Marketing will oversee all aspects of these disciplines including sales strategy, account management, brand promotions, research, and managing creative teams. They will play a key role in the company’s efforts to grow audience and revenue by developing compelling concepts and proposals to secure deals and to proactively pursue new business. This person will advise on special projects and influence overall company strategy, budget and goals.
We are looking for an accomplished and respected industry veteran with a successful track record of developing data-driven sales positioning, an extensive network of executive relationships at the highest levels (digital media, music, sports or OTT), and proven ability to lead and manage teams.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Lead the strategy around, and oversee all aspects of, pre-sales, post-sales, brand promotions and research capabilities
- Implement the development of engaging concepts and proposals to both win RFPs and secure new business for the entirety of G/O Media network and its brands
- Oversee the teams and functions responsible for the coordination, development, and execution of custom branded programs
- Ideate branded promotions to raise awareness of G/O Media properties to the advertising communities through targeted promotions and carefully executed CRM programs
- Direct research initiatives and our Insights team in developing the positioning of all our properties in the industry
- Present the G/O Media brands in a compelling and authentic way to potential partners; clearly articulate the value and unique differentiators of the G/O publications in the marketplace
- Establish and build relationships with potential and existing strategic partners
- Work closely with key stakeholders to support holistic talent needs across the company
- Build a collaborative, high-performing team and support their professional growth and development
- Accomplished and respected industry veteran with relevant experience. Business/sales experience is a plus.
- History of leading a business development or corporate strategy group/function
- Proven track record of successful revenue-driving partnerships, creative deal making, and effective relationship management
- In-depth understanding of the digital media industry and competitive landscape as well as strong editorial, content, and brand sensibilities
- Extremely organized with ability to effectively manage multiple, time-sensitive projects and competing priorities
- Demonstrated ability to apply critical thinking to resolve unanticipated challenges in the marketplace
- Deep knowledge of engagement and optimization best practices
- Bachelor’s degree required. MBA preferred
G/O Media is deeply committed to fostering a transparently inclusive workplace environment and people of color, women, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are very strongly encouraged to apply. Our company-wide mission is to reach very diverse audiences and so, we are deeply committed to having teams and leaders that reflect this mission.