Staff Writer, Gizmodo (Cybersecurity)
New York, NY
G/O Media is the publisher of the web’s most original media brands, including Gizmodo, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, Jezebel, Jalopnik, The Root, The Onion and The A.V. Club, and reaches over 100 million unique visitors a month—more than one-third of all Americans. We connect with the young, diverse audiences that are shaping our future. Through fearless journalism, provoking comedy, and high-impact storytelling, we elevate the stories and issues our readers and viewers are passionate about.
About the Role:
Gizmodo, our tech and science site, is looking for a Cybersecurity Reporter. We're looking for a sharp, hungry reporter located in the New York City area to join Gizmodo’s tech news team. The ideal candidate will have excellent instincts for spotting a great story, proven reporting experience, and the ability to consistently produce high-quality daily news reports as well as longer-term features. Equally important is a genuine interest in technology and its ramifications, and the insight and fearlessness needed to expertly cover this essential beat.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Provide daily coverage of cybersecurity, privacy, policy, tech, and related topics
- Skillfully translate technical cybersecurity issues and hacking techniques for a general, tech-savvy audience
- Work with editors to develop the contours of the beat and chase down scoops.
- Effectively cultivate valuable sources within your beat
- Consistently craft medium-, and long-form investigative and analysis pieces
- Establish yourself as a must-read reporter in your beat
- Experience working at a digital or print outlet with strong tech coverage
- A demonstrated ability to break news
- Be comfortable writing analysis, breaking news, and investigative features
- A strong voice, skepticism towards company spin, and a sense of humor