One of our current interns in NY had to go all like getting a real job, so here we are—looking for some more interns, in New York and San Francisco.
We're pretty demanding of our interns, but in turn, you will learn a lot about this whole professional blogging enterprise. So, the ideal candidate is someone who's looking at a career in media, but fairly geeky too. Oh, and you must be within daily commuting distance of Manhattan or San Francisco.
• Writing experience is a huge, huge plus, though not 10,000 percent mandatory—just be ready to demonstrate your superpowers with some samples. If you've got journalism experience, we'll probably like you more.
• A decent laptop (basically, one that's good enough to handle light video editing)
• Basic experience with HTML, Flickr, FTP, Facebook, Twitter—the internets, essentially
• The ability to listen and follow instructions and be fast, like zombie cheetahs are trying to eat your brains—basically, you're here to learn and build up your knowledge-base
• Dedication and timelines. The job's fun, and surprisingly educational, but it's definitely not easy
• Over 18
• Ability to commit at minimum 20 hours a week, with full time being the preference.
The stuff you'll be learning:
• Research and reporting: Learning how to pull together lots of different kinds of information from multiple sources for editors
• Spotting stories: Learning how to find and pitch stories from multiple sources and leads
• Promotion: Learning how to promote stories out there on the internets
• Other things
Essentially, you'll be learning the basics of tech and gadget blogging, which, as it turns out, is pretty valuable knowledge in this crazy media environment. And very probably having some fun playing with gadgets amidst learning new euphemisms for genitalia and all of the "go go go faster faster faster" pace of blogging. Oh, there is a (very) small stipend, too.
So, if you think that sounds like your ideal internship, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "NY Intern" if you're applying for the New York internship, or "SF Intern" if you're applying for the San Francisco internship. Then, tell us a little bit about yourself and why you're perfect for the job, and paste your resume at the bottom of the email. (No attachments. Seriously. None.) Deadline's September 30.
We really look forward to hearing from you, if you are great.