A lot of you participate in Gizmodo's weekly Happy Hour, but most of you (intelligently!) aren't taking photos of it. But for this week's Shooting Challenge, let's celebrate the beauty of booze. Photograph a cocktail (and get us the recipe!).
Take a photo of a cocktail and tell us how to make it. It can be in your home or out at a bar. The catch? If a bartender makes it for you, they'd better share the recipe, too!
Cocktails are naturally wonderful subjects for a photo, because a good cocktail mixes geometry, color, and texture. Plus the glass allows light to flow into the liquid naturally.
But there is a great Q&A that can teach you more. Read this. It's full of practical tips, like, rather than lighting a cocktail, a bounce board (which can be as simple as a white sheet of paper to redirect light at your subject) can work wonders, or that freezing glasses for 10 minutes produces attractive condensation. And for those of you drinking in a dark bar, this tutorial is great, too.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced (read more on that above).
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a 2560x1600 sized in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, February 3rd at 9AM Eastern to email@example.com with "Cocktail" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameCocktail.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameCocktailWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include a recipe along with a story of your tradition in a few sentences.