This week at Lifehacker:
Family tech support with UltraVNC SingleClick
"Grandpa called from Florida, and he needs your help uploading photos..."
- How to portscan your computer for security holes
"Open ports are invitations to criminal hackers and other evildoers to wreak havoc - and if you don't protect yourself, no one else will."
- Windows Vista RC 1, in screenshots
"...a photo gallery of some of the new stuff in the release candidate, so-close-to-final-it-hurts version of Windows..."
- Forget the TV and watch the web
"...use the web as your own (free!) personal TiVo so you watch your favorite shows anytime you want..."
- Get more from Google Desktop
"...how I use Google Desktop search: from the best preferences configuration and plug-ins to a quickly scripted feature I feel is sorely missing."
- Wget local copies of your online research (del.icio.us, digg or Google Notebook)
"Sure, storing your data on the web is great, but in an age of cheap, enormous hard drives and powerful desktop search, why not replicate the data you keep on the web to your computer?"
- Don't trash broken stuff; send it back
"Rather than just sending your broken stuff to a landfill, pack it up and ship it back to the manufacturer with a letter asking for a new one."
- Improve your web site with Google Analytics
"In my ten years of building web sites, I've tried practically every free web site stats analyzer under the sun - and none has come close to the utility, richness and depth of Google Analytics."
- 15 ways to get more out of Pandora
"Get better music - and better performance - out of Pandora."
- Side-by-side Windows and Mac OS with Parallels
"Here's how I've set up my Parallels installation to make working in multiple OSes easy and fun."