Every family has at least one legendary photo, be it a bunny suit or horrible matching outfits (or, in some cases, both simultaneously). For this week's Shooting Challenge, you're going to re-stage and recreate an old family photo.
Recreate an old family photo (or any old photo in your personal collection). And yes, I'm totally ripping off Modern Family's finale for this challenge, if you happened to catch it. Treehouse, wine and rabid dog optional.
I really want to see what you come up with, so know that using the same people or different people (in the case that some of the older generation is no longer with us) is totally fair game. Also fair game: photoshopping, hipstamatic-like filters and pretty much anything else you want to do to create this homage. Just use a new photo somewhere in your submission, and feel free to go with a modern or vintage look.
Then, obviously include your original photo with your new submission. It should be 970 pixels wide, just like the image we'll post in our galleries.
Wouldn't our lead photo be great made new? It's by Valerie's Genealogy on flickr. Note the props and mise-en-scène. So great.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced (read more on that above).
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a 2560x1600 sized in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, June 6th at 8AM Eastern to email@example.com with "Modern Family" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameModern.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameModernWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. ALSO INCLUDE YOUR ORIGINAL INSPIRATION PHOTO FirstnameLastnameInspiration.jpg (970px wide). Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!