Close to the gorgeous towers of the Óbuda Gas Works, there is a humble, church-like brick building housing an amazing piece of engineering: a still-functional 103-year-old Sulzer diesel motor connected to a Ganz generator.
The 4-cylinder, 800-horsepower, 180-RPM stationary engine was built in 1912 by the Láng (Flame) Machine Works of Budapest, based upon the license of the Swiss industrial engineering and manufacturing firm Sulzer. The two-story machine supplied 110-volt direct current electricity for the Óbuda Gas Works with the help of the attached generator. Next to it is a control room, and behind that, a switch gear and distribution room.
Both the building and the massive engine somehow survived the Second World War, and the machines are still in working condition. According to the existing plans, the owner wants to preserve it for future generations.
Photos: Attila Nagy/Gizmodo