A blink goes by in just 1/10 of a second. What could have happened in this sub-moment that you missed? For this week's Shooting Challenge, show us what occurred in the 100 milliseconds that our eyes were closed.
Take a photo that lasts 1/10th of a second. Big bonus points for playing off the "what happened when I blinked?" topic, so long as it's not just a person blinking.
Set your camera's shutter to 1/10. Lock it down in Shutter Priority mode (you can find this setting as the "S" or "TV" on most dSLRS) or use full manual mode to make this happen
1/10th of a second is an interesting exposure. It's not fast enough to freeze motion, but it will smooth moving entities like flames. I really like this post on shooting 1/10th of a second, just for getting your feet wet with what's possible and probably. Then, check out this primer on shutter speeds for more general technical info.
This is a pun that has officially been made.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced (read more on that above).
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a 2560x1600 sized in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, August 6th at at 10AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Blink" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameBlink.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameBlinkWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!
Mark Wilson is the founder of Philanthroper, a daily deal site for nonprofits.