Whether it's a fireplace or a glowing candle, there's nothing like a little pyromania to cut through the winter blues. So for this week's Shooting Challenge, photograph flames.
Take a photo that features a flame. It can be an extreme close up, or it can be a tiny part of the image. Just capture a flame somewhere.
No matter what style of fire you choose to photograph, you'll probably default to the same technique. It's not hard! Start with the right shutter speed to freeze the flame appropriately. This useful tutorial recommends you start at 1/250sec and tweak from there (if you're feeling lazy, set your camera to "shutter priority mode" when you do this, and it should compensate the rest of the exposure settings accordingly).
Our lead image, by Matteo Paciotti, captures a very cozy fireplace. Note that the flame is a bit blurry—that's because the shutter speed was set to 1/60 of a second. There's nothing wrong with this choice, of course! But it's definitely a different effect. The idea is that you should be able to capture your vision, whatever it is, intentionally.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken this week.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a 2560px wide image in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, February 23rd at 10 AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Flame" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameFlame.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameFlameWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions.