It's Thanksgiving. And that means a lot of us pretend we like turkey for a day. So for this week's Shooting Challenge, let's celebrate that poor bird and photograph it.
Take a hero shot of your turkey. Or your tofurkey.
First step, roast a turkey. Second step, let it cool a bit (steam will get in your lens). Don't worry, your family won't care if the turkey is cold. Turkey tastes horrible. Even fancy brined turkeys. Sorry. It's true. Nobody cares that you brined your turkey. You might as well microwave it. But they're excited for stuffing, potatoes, and pie! And maybe even that weird marshmallow thing you make!
Third step, read this food photography tutorial at the BBC, or this one from Nat Geo. (Actually, maybe reading is step zero. But you get where I'm going with this.) My one-line tip? Always photography by natural light.
Step four/three/whatever, photograph the turkey.
Our lead image, by flickr's Steve Johnson, captures the turkey in its trademark profile. Go this direction or another, just do your thing.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken this week.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a natively sized image in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, December 1st at 10 AM Eastern to email@example.com with "Turkey" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameTurkey.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameTurkeyWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions.