Tech. Science. Culture.
We may earn a commission from links on this page

This Man Died While Peeing on NYC Subway's Tracks Today (Updated)

We may earn a commission from links on this page.

This is Matthew Zeno, the 30-year-old man who allegedly died today in New York City's subway after peeing on the electrified third rail. He was instantly electrocuted. Update: police has confirmed the man died electrocuted after he fell on the third rail.

His Facebook friends have started to post farewell messages on his wall.


According to the New York Post, Matthew got killed by electric shock after peeing on the third rail around 3:10AM, on the southbound G train platform at Union Avenue and Broadway, in Williamsburg. His Facebook page shows his latest known location near the place of the accident:


His friend tried to help him only to get shocked himself, police told the New York Post. Officially, however, neither the NYPD nor the FDNY have officially confirmed or denied the death-by-peeing yet (see update.)

The NYC subway uses the third rail to power its train, carrying a 900-1200 amps current that is lethal on contact.


This is not the first time this has happened. Last year, US Marines vet Zachary McKee died electrocuted while peeing on the tracks at the Evanston, Illinois stop of Chicago's L train. However, the police couldn't tell if McKee was electrocuted for peeing on the third rail or if he fell on the third rail while peeing on the tracks.