This week at Lifehacker:
- Roll your own killer audio player with foobar2000
"If you love to tweak and customize your software applications to work just the way you want, extensibility is key—and the free audio player for Windows, foobar2000, is the most extensible player on the market."
- Make Microsoft Word less annoying
"It's time to take back the word processor, to put Word in its place and make it your ally instead of your adversary. Follow these tips and you'll be a much happier writer."
- LH Top 10: Free Mac Downloads
"Sure, there's tons of fantastic Mac software out there, but most of it isn't free—unless you know where to look, that is."
- Screenshot Tour: Roll your own DVR and media center with MediaPortal
"Check out the gallery for an up-close look at MediaPortal's sexy feature set."
- Monitor your Mac and more with GeekTool
"If you like to monitor your system using age-old command-line tools like uptime and top, you want the free GeekTool on your Mac."
- Ten cool cellphone tricks
"What has your cellphone done for you lately? Mine just updated my blog. Then it told me my friend Craig was just a few blocks up the street. Then it showed me my Google Reader feeds. Then it told me what song was playing on the radio."
- How to move an iTunes library from a PC to Mac (and back)
"Sadly, transferring your iTunes library along with your playlists and ratings isn't just a matter of moving the music files."
- Organize your PDF library with iTunes
"Using iTunes' Smart Playlists and its PDF support, you can build a document library where PDFs are automatically sorted into keyword-based lists."
- Download of the Day: NetMeter (Windows)
"Bandwidth monitor NetMeter graphs how much data's going in and out of your PC over the interwebs."
- MacGyver Tip: Turn a pen into a safe
"Just take out the ink cartridge, roll up your bills as tightly as you can, slide 'em in, then screw the pen housing back together."