Lifehacker reader rykennedyan created this customized desktop based on Halo, and even if you're not a gamer, you've got to appreciate the workmanship that went into this. Check out what it can do after the jump. [Lifehacker]
The desktop is made from a string of custom Rainmeter configurations on a Halo 3 background image. Rykennedyan's list of features:
• Grenades - Each grenade launches a specific application. I currently have them set to, from left to right, Pidgin, Steam, Foobar, and Firefox.
• Power Drainer - Opens a Shutdown menu. You can choose Shutdown, Restart, and Sleep
• Health Bar - Displays current track progress, with artist and title above it.
• Battle Rifle and Ammo Count - Displays current unread message count from Gmail and the Battlerifle opens Gmail.
• Ammo Clip - Top clip is download traffic; bottom clip is upload traffic.
• Radar - As of now, all this does is download and save an image for the local radar from Weather Underground. I'm currently editing a GIMP script which will automatically crop and edit the picture to display properly upon download. What you see here is the intended look. It also displays the current temperature.
• Time and Game Type - Display current time and date.
• Blue Score and Red Score - Display current CPU and RAM usage.
• Player Callsigns - These behave just like my TweetScanner skin.
• Battlerifle Ammo Count - Displays current battery status; it displays 0 in this picture because I'm using my desktop which is not on a battery.
• Also, the visor outline is done in Rainmeter as well.