If you live in Boise, Idaho or Bellingham, Wash. or one of eight Texas markets (Abilene,
Amarillo, Corpus Christi, Killeen/Temple, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, Waco and Wichita Falls), you can enjoy ClearWire's 4G WiMax service starting today.
Clearwire Introduces CLEAR(TM) 4G WiMAX Internet Service in 10 New Markets
Super Fast Mobile Internet Service is Available Today in Boise, Idaho; Bellingham, Wash.; and Eight Texas Markets, Including Abilene, Amarillo, Corpus Christi, Killeen/Temple, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, Waco and Wichita Falls
Local Market Celebrations Scheduled to Take Place Throughout the Fall
Company Also Outlines Plans for Broadband Stimulus Initiative
KIRKLAND, Wash.—(BUSINESS WIRE)—Sep. 1, 2009— Clearwire Communications, LLC, an operating subsidiary of Clearwire Corporation (NASDAQ:CLWR), today officially launched its CLEAR 4G WiMAX service in 10 new markets, expanding CLEAR's super fast mobile Internet service area to a total of 14 markets and over 10 million people. Effective today, these markets, including Abilene, Amarillo, Corpus Christi, Killeen/Temple, Lubbock, Midland/Odessa, Waco and Wichita Falls, Texas; Bellingham, Wash; and Boise, Idaho, officially offer consumers and businesses access to the Internet wirelessly at true broadband speeds ─ at home, in the office, and on the go anywhere in the CLEAR coverage area.
"CLEAR combines two of the most exciting technological advances of our generation ─ mobile communications and the Internet ─ in order to free our customers to take their rich home or office broadband experience with them anywhere around town or on the go," said Mike Sievert, Chief Commercial Officer for Clearwire. "Our 4G WiMAX network provides a valuable new category of Internet service designed to make people's lives more enjoyable and more productive by giving them access to the connections, information and resources that matter most, wherever they happen to be."
A CLEAR Difference
Unlike other wireless services, CLEAR delivers a mobile broadband Internet experience on par with speeds typically experienced only on wired connections, like DSL. CLEAR customers can expect to see average download speeds of 3 to 6 mbps with bursts over 10 mbps.
The CLEAR customer experience is similar to that provided by Wi-Fi, but without the short range limitations of a traditional hotspot. CLEAR uses a 4G technology that differs from Wi-Fi called WiMAX, which provides service areas measured in miles, not feet. In these markets, the Clearwire network utilizes an area-wide WiMAX radio system from Motorola.
As the Internet integrates deeper into daily life, the opportunities to stay connected and be productive are enhanced by CLEAR in numerous ways, for example:
* A busy parent who wants full Internet connectivity for kids studying or playing games in the back of the family minivan;
* A college student or retiree looking for one affordable Internet service provider to meet their needs at home, on campus and on-the-go;
* A mobile professional who is unsatisfied with the speeds and limitations of 3G modem cards or the need to seek out Wi-Fi hotspots;
* A local transportation service looking to provide in-vehicle Internet service for their clients;
* A commuter interested in accessing entertainment sites like Hulu or Pandora on the ride home.
For these and many other customers, CLEAR's simple and innovative pricing provides ultimate flexibility. CLEAR's mobile and residential plans can be purchased by the day or by the month, with several no-service-contract options available. Home Internet service plans start at $25 per month; while mobile Internet plans start at $35 per month, or customers can purchase a convenient mobile day pass for $10. For a limited time, customers can also choose the Pick 1 Unlimited plan option; offering an unlimited home or mobile Internet for $22.50 for the first 3 months and $45 per month thereafter. Customers can find full details about pricing options, business plans and purchase the service online at www.clear.com, or by visiting numerous retail locations throughout these markets, or other authorized CLEAR dealers.
Simply Plug-In and Go
CLEAR offers several simple choices for broadband connectivity.
* Clear USB Modem and Clear 4G+ Mobile: Mobile users simply plug-in one of CLEAR's compact, mobile WiMAX-enabled USB modems into their laptop to get online. Customers have a choice of a 4G-only modem, or a Clear 4G+ mobile USB, a dual-mode (4G/3G) modem from CLEAR with the capability to deliver to the truly mobile user access to Sprint's nationwide 3G network service whenever the Clear 4G service is not available. Pricing for modems start at $49.99, after instant rebate, or may be leased beginning as low as just $4.99 monthly.
* Residential data & voice services: For residential service, CLEAR offers customers a wireless high-speed modem, about the size of a small book. Customers simply plug the modem into a power outlet anywhere in their home or office and connect the modem to their PC or wireless router. This enables consumers and businesses to install high-speed Internet service without the need to schedule an appointment, drill holes in their walls, or otherwise disrupt their day. The Clear Modem, a residential modem from Motorola, can be purchased for $69.99 or leased for just $4.99 monthly. Residential customers can also add in-home voice service with purchase of the Clear Voice Adapter for $15, and receive unlimited local and long distance service for just $25 per month.
* Clear Spot: With the Clear Spot, any existing, off-the-shelf Wi-Fi device (compatible with 802.11b/g) can connect to Clearwire's 4G WiMAX network. The Clear Spot creates a personal Wi-Fi hotspot that travels with consumers anywhere they happen to be within CLEAR's mobile WiMAX service area. This $139.99 device is a portable, battery-powered router that seamlessly connects up to eight standard Wi-Fi-enabled devices (computers, mobile phones, portable gaming, consoles, cameras, etc.) to the Internet via a Clear USB modem to access CLEAR's mobile WiMAX network. The Clear Spot is compatible with both the Clear 4G and Clear 4G+ mobile USB dual-mode service options.
* Intel Embedded WiMAX Laptops: Numerous CLEAR-compatible embedded WiMAX laptops based on Intel® Centrino® 2 processor technology are now available directly from their manufacturers and through other channels. From Dell, these include the Studio 17, Studio XPS 16, Latitude E4300, Latitude E6400, Latitude E6400 ATG, Latitude E6500, Precision M2400, Precision M4400 and Vostro 1220. From Fujitsu, this includes the LifeBook P8020. WiMAX-ready laptops from Lenovo include the ThinkPad line: SL400, SL500, X200, X200s, X200 Tablet, X301, T400, T500, W500 and W700. From Samsung, this includes the X460 notebook as well as the NC10, the first WiMAX-enabled netbook based on the Intel® Atom™ processor, available in the U.S.
* Samsung Mondi: The Samsung Mondi, a mobile WiMAX-enabled handheld device that combines the abilities of a PC with the size and portability to carry around in your pocket.
Upcoming Launch Events
Clearwire will host a number of consumer events in the newly launched markets throughout the fall to give the public an opportunity to experience CLEAR's advantages firsthand through a series of mobile WiMAX demonstrations. In addition, attendees will also have opportunities to win prizes, including CLEAR product discounts and other merchandise.