The Fourth of July is tomorrow. And as usual, we'll celebrate our nation's independence (sorry international readers) by blowing up a small chunk of it. So get out your cameras and document the beautiful idiocy.
Capture a photo of fireworks.
So, you have a TOUGH act to follow. Here's what you did in 2010.
As for HOW you did it. Check our tips in the original post. You don't want to be fiddling with aperture/ISO/shutter combinations during the festivities. Use the tutorials to come up with a baseline plan. Then tweak as necessary during our nation's celebratory attack on itself.
Our lead shot (cropped up top) is from our 2010 Fireworks Challenge by Ansel Santosa. I think it's one of my favorite photos, not just from Shooting Challenges, but that I've ever seen. Don't be afraid to work a bit of humanity into all of the explosions.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced (read more on that above).
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a 2560x1600 sized in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, July 9th at at 10AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with "July4" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameJuly4.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameJuly4Wallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!
Mark Wilson is the founder of Philanthroper, a daily deal site for nonprofits.