What do we see when we dream? Is it one image in one place, or is it a montage of many? Are people one person, or combinations of several? For this week's Shooting Challenge, you'll show us how you dream.
Take a photo of a dream.
This may be the hardest challenge we've ever posted because, in considering technical tutorials, I don't even know where to start. Maybe a double exposure is the way to go. Maybe surreal scenes make the most sense. Maybe you'll highlight shadow or color in an unusual way. I just ask this: Dig deep into one of your most vivid dreams, and try to create that fleeting moment, the flicker of a snapshot in your mind's eye.
Our lead shot is by Andrew Beebe. I like the use of the face's contrast as a template to bring in two locations through a means other than a general double exposure, and it's especially effective that the frame is the subject.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced (read more on that above).
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a 2560x1600 sized in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, July 23rd at at 10AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Dream" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameDream.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameDreamWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions. Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!
Mark Wilson is the founder of Philanthroper, a daily deal site for nonprofits.