Energy-efficient buildings can be wonderful at keeping out drafts and keeping down heating bills. But the same air-tightness, unfortunately, is also perfect for trapping humid air where toxic mold can go to party.
The Alberta Court of Appeal in Canada has been a mold-filled ghost building since 2001, after renovations to the handsome, 87-year-old sandstone building went awry. When the renovated and newly energy-efficient building reopened, according to ClimateWire, judges and attorneys complained of fatigue, irritated lungs, and watery eyes.
Air quality samples pointed the finger at mold growing inside the walls. The cracks and leaks of the pre-renovation building had been a crude form of air-quality control—albeit not very energy efficient. The new airtight building, however, trapped moisture to breed toxic mold.
The court eventually moved to an office tower downtown, but the mold permanently contaminated its archives. Record requests are a real pain. "Mold still lingers in paper court documents," Umair Irfan writes in ClimateWire; incredibly, this requires "someone with a respirator to retrieve and scan contaminated files to send to officials as requested."
On one hand, building energy-efficient structures seems to better shield us from the elements, creating a well-insulated barrier between us and the environment. But the unintended consequences of energy efficiency show just how mindful we need to be of the natural world. Mold grows in airtight walls. Ice sheets form and then crash down from well-insulated skyscrapers.