Kaleidoscopes use light and mirrors to turn beads and jewels into an optical funhouse. But there's an easier way. You can actually turn any digital photo into a kaleidoscope.
Take a photo and transform it into a kaleidoscope-esque image. Send us BOTH the original photo and the edited version. See what we mean in the instructions below.
First step, take a photo. (Anything with strong contrasting colors/shapes should work well.)
Second step, edit the photo.
For step two, you have at least two decent options. The first is that you can use something like Photoshop to create the effect, pretty easily, by hand. The more creative amongst you can really personalize the design this way, too, optimizing the effect based upon your source imagine's geometries. The other option is to use a mobile app, of course.
Either way, just create the most captivating kaleidoscope you can.
Our lead image is by flickr's JFXie. It's of downtown Chicago, but note how the sky and buildings contrast to create a very cool abstraction. Look for polar elements like these in your source image.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced (read more on that above).
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include THREE IMAGES THIS WEEK: a 970px wide source image AND your edited Kaleidoscope image (200KB or less) AND a natively sized (bigger) Kaleidoscope image in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, June 30th at 9AM Eastern to email@example.com with "Solstice" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameKaleidoscope.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastname
KaleidoscopeWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions.