It's the greatest holiday of the year. You get to freak people out, and you get unlimited candy for it. So for this week's Shooting Challenge, photograph a fantastic Halloween costume.
Take a photo of someone (or someones) dressed up for Halloween. And, you know, make it look cool or interesting somehow.
Once you've figured out your subject, consider a few ideas. First, placing them in the right context, while it might seem cheesy at first to stage a photo, could actually create a pretty fantastic effect. Scene can amplify character and tone in what filmmakers call mise-en-scène. Here's a handy academic resource to get you started thinking about mise-en-scène.
Once you're done with that, here's a mega listicle on tips to take better portraits.
Our lead image, by flickr's Esther Lee. That mummy on a bike is so wonderfully out of context.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken this Halloween season.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a natively sized image in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, November 3rd at 10 AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Halloween" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameHalloween.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameHalloweenWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions.