Valentine's Day is this weekend. And whether or not you believe in spending $5.95 on Hallmark greetings, hopefully, you still believe in love. So for this week's Shooting Challenge, that's what we're celebrating: Love.
Take a photo that features love as the subject. (It doesn't have to be pro love if you prefer good old hate!)
There are a million ways you could go with this, of course—hearts, chocolates, portraits, candids, etc—but in case you have a longing to do some of the ephemerally romatic, bokeh-style background lighting you see in our lead shot, here is a super tutorial (actually by Nikon!) on the subject.
That said, I'm hoping everyone puts their own spin on this week's challenge. There's no one technique that I want to bound you to use.
Our lead image, by Matthias Ripp, is of a love lock bridge (this one, I believe, is in Poland). I dig how the orange and blue locks almost seem mirrored by the lights above them.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken this week.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a 2560px wide image in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, February 16th at 10 AM Eastern to email@example.com with "Love" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameLove.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameLoveWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions.