What a pleasant surprise. While Google initially suggested it'd be a few weeks before the Nexus One was graced with Android 2.2, TechCrunch's MG Siegler went to plug in his handset last night and, lo and behold, he found an unexpected Froyo treat waiting for him. Not all Nexus One users are seeing the bump yet, but it does seem that Google's starting to roll out the Android 2.2 update on its own phone first. Figures.
Update: For impatient owners of a non-rooted Nexus One, a download link to the Android 2.2 update can be found here. Commenter CaptainJack offers these helpful instructions for getting it up and running:
1. rename the update to update.zip
2. Copy it to the root of your sdcard
3. Power off your phone
4. Power on your phone with the power button, volume down key and trackball pressed
5. Enter the recovery mode
6. When you see the Android caution icon press power and the VOLUME UP KEY
7. Apply update.zip
8. Reboot when it tells you to.