Take two photos and animate them in "wiggle 3D" style (or a similar method) to appear 3D. (That's right, screw anaglyph! Pew pew to those glasses!) Your submission must be an animated gif in precise, 640x360 dimensions.
Look, we've seen a lot of these wiggle photos. Most suck. But I'm convinced that they can be amazing, and I'm convinced that you're the people to blow us all away. Here's a full tutorial on how to create the effect. You'll want to take two photos at an equal height, a few inches (or maybe even feet) apart. But the bottom line is this: the more you have in focus, the deeper the 3D effect will go. (So shoot with a higher f-stop for a good cheat on getting more of a photo in focus.)
Another point: wiggle 3D photos tend to use only two frames. Feel free to attempt a smoother animation by adding a few more frames (photos in between), but please don't turn in huge files. You'll melt our servers.
Our example shot is by flickr's Nestor's Blurrylife. Note that the animation is by a 4-frame 3D camera. What I do enjoy about the shot is the 3D-ness of the cylindrical camera. And the fact that it was shot in film helps...the grain is fantastic. (See more of his photos here.) That said, you can push the boundaries more than this. Because 3D alone isn't enough to carry a boring photo.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced (read more on that above).
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, not me.
5. Only give us one file this week that's 640x360.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, March 26th at 10AM Eastern to email@example.com with "Wiggle" in the subject line. Save your files as GIFs that are exactly 640x360, and use a FirstnameLastnameWiggle.gif naming convention.
Include your shooting summary (camera, lens, ISO, etc) in the body of the email along with a story of the shot in a few sentences. And don't skip this story part because it's often the most enjoyable part for us all beyond the shot itself!
Mark Wilson is the founder of Philanthroper,