We live in a world full of rectangles—mostly because of convenience. Our bricks. Our buildings. Our screens. But we're round creatures, and we love curves. And for this week's Shooting Challenge, we're celebrating the antithesis of the square: The circle.
Take a photo of a circle somewhere in the environment (it could be a place, thing, even person, that highlights this geometric shape).
The best thing you can do during a challenge like this is train your brain to look for fascinating circles all of the time. Scan your domestic life or cityscape for visual surprises. Just looking around my living room, I spotted circles everywhere—knobs on a chest, dyes on a carpet, the lip on a mug. Spotting a circle shouldn't be hard. Spotting a captivating circle may be.
Our lead image is from flickr's O Palsson. It's the ceiling at the National Museum of the American Indian, and a great piece of architecture. It's also, yes, a series of concentric circles.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken since this contest was announced (read more on that above).
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a natively sized image in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, June 2nd at 9AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Circle" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameCircle.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameCircleWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions.