“I’ve always been attracted to characters that mean well, but fail miserably,” writer-director Matt Vesely explained to Short of the Week of his sci-fi comedy My Best Friend Is Stuck on the Ceiling. The short film was released a few years ago, but that context and that title (and the fact that the movie itself is deadpan and charming as hell) were enough for us to want to share it today.
Also, the logline only hints at what unfolds in the short’s 10-minute runtime: “Connor, secretly in love with his best friend Rach, has gotten her an amazing birthday present—something that’s sure to knock her off her feet.” Could this be the worst strategy to get out of the friend zone ever? Will Connor have the courage to make his true feelings known before... [see title] happens? Enjoy!
Beware the gift that arrives touting its status as a “real floating space rock”—what it says on the tin is the real deal! The cast for this one includes Tom Ward as Connor, Erin James as Rach, and Nick Nemeroff as the extremely droll waiter.
More short film posts from io9:
- Horror Short The Home Tells a Tale as Terrifying as It Is Brief
- If Jurassic Park Had Time Travelers, It Might Look Like Hell Creek
- 5 Short Films to Distract You From the Winter Blues
- 5 Sci-Fi and Horror Shorts to Help Fill That No-New-Movies Void
- Give Your Attention Span a Break With These 7 Short Sci-Fi and Horror Movies
- A Looming Disaster Turns Personal in Short Sci-Fi Film Inoculation
- Sci-Fi Short Alone Packs All the Drama of a Feature Into 20 Minutes
- 6 Spooky Shorts to Get You in the Halloween Spirit
- Aliens Visit Earth for an Eerily Specific Purpose in Sci-Fi Short Seedling
- The 13 Greatest Science Fiction Comedies Of All Time
Wondering where our RSS feed went? You can pick the new up one here.