Couch Surfers—the elite who turn obnoxiously crashing on others' couches into an art form. They're going to find a way to weasel from pad to pad somehow, so here are eight gift ideas to make them—and you—more comfortable.
1. QuickPro Steamer & Sanitizer, $59.95: If you're going to be crashing on a stranger's couch, the last thing you want to do is stink the place up. A Couch Surfer probably doesn't have regular access to a washer, so this portable garment-zapper will keep them from becoming a bit too, ahem, fragrant. [Amazon]
2. Novatel Wireless MiFi 2372 (Unlocked), $224.99: Is there anything more annoying than having to ask for someone's 64 character, randomly generated wireless password? No! Nothing! Let your Couch Surfer bypass the headache with a hotspot of their own. [Amazon]
3. Patagonia Lightweight Travel Duffel, $99.00: If your Couch Surfer is living out of their bag, they better have one a hell of a bag. Patagonia's duffel is super rugged, super light, and stuffs into its own pocket if they need to tuck it under that surfed-upon couch. [Patagonia]
4. Always Cool Pillow, $69.95: Sleeping on a couch sucks. Period. So having a pillow made out of heat-absorbing NASA material will make it suck a little less. [SkyMall]
5. Flip Fold, $18.99: You know what's an easy way to exhaust your host's good graces? By leaving your raggedy shirts all over the place. This folding tool for dummies will help a clothed Couch Surfer keep his or her apparel tidy and out of sight. [Flip Fold]
6. MUJI Travel Organizer, $28: See above. MUJI is known for its wonderfully minimalist wares—and being wonderfully minimalist is ideal when staying in someone else's pad. No more nasty toothbrush out in plain view. [MoMA Store]
7. USB Travel Adaptor, $35: Couch surfing is an international phenomenon, so if the surfing takes your giftee to a foreign land, they can rest easier knowing that iPhone will stay charged. The roaming bill, however, you won't be able to help with. [MoMA Store]
8. Sennheiser PXC 250 II Collapsible Noise Canceling Headphone, $129.95: Another choice item to keep the peace. Nobody wants to hear the Couch Surfer, so headphones are a must. But dammit, Couch Surfers have emotions too, and probably don't want to hear their hosts babbling on all the time. These cans keep music in and keep noise out—and keep both sides calm. [Amazon]
The burning sensation that comes from holiday shopping isn't from rubbing against the unwashed masses at malls: It's trying to pick out presents for everybody on your list. Gizmodo's daily gift guides are the all-natural, non-smelly cure.