You left a few awesome habits behind when you grew up: Wearing dinosaur costumes, attending sleepovers, and maybe most importantly, blowing bubbles. So for this week's Shooting Challenge, photograph bubbles.
Take a photo of a bubble. It can be a floating bubble you've blown, or you can always go with a soap bubble in a tub. (The rule-stretchers amongst you might even consider a bubble blown in gum, and that's fine too.)
Floating soap bubbles, photographed correctly, and be a gorgeous, impossible swirl of colors. To capture them, you'll need to use a lot of light (morning sunlight or studio lights are best), and using a dark backdrop will help them pop. This tutorial is excellent.
For those who prefer video, watch this short clip.
But honestly, bubbles are a striking enough subject that there's really no wrong way to photograph them.
Our lead image, by JD Hancock, is of a bubble at close range. It's actually blurry—probably because the shutter speed wasn't fast enough to capture the bubble still. More light would have helped. But that technical mishap is an artistic plus, creating an ephemeral quality to the shot.
1. Submissions need to be your own.
2. Photos must be taken this week.
3. Explain, briefly, the equipment, settings, technique and story behind shot.
4. Email submissions to email@example.com, not me.
5. Include 970px wide image (200KB or less) AND a 2560px wide image in email. I know that your photo may not fall into those exact high rez dimensions, so whatever native resolution you're using is fine.
6. One submission per person.
7. Use the proper SUBJECT line in your email (more info on that below)
8. You agree to the Standard Contest Rules - though we DO accept non-US resident submissions.
9. If the image contains any material or elements that are not owned by you and/or which are subject to the rights of third parties, and/or if any persons appear in the image, you are responsible for obtaining, prior to submission of the photograph, any and all releases and consents necessary to permit the exhibition and use of the image in the manner set forth in these rules without additional compensation. If any person appearing in any image is under the age of majority in their state/province/territory of residence the signature of a parent or legal guardian is required on each release.
Send your best photo by Monday, March 2nd at 10 AM Eastern to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Bubble" in the subject line. Save your files as JPGs, and use a FirstnameLastnameBubble.jpg (970px wide) and FirstnameLastnameBubbleWallpaper.jpg (2560px wide) naming conventions.